Saturday 10 May 2008

Asylum - Day One (09.05.08)

Fresh from the Asylum 2008 in Birmingham...

Today was registration day. People from all over (I think even the USA; don't they have enough conventions of their own?) arrived by the bucket load.


The Met Hilton was easy to find by car and the friendly guy at the gate helped me with the ticket since my left hand drive (the only real drive) isn’t made for British gates...I usually put the car in neutral an climb over but at the Hilton the ticket machine is almost a mile away form the window, all leaning out in the world didn't help.

Once inside the Hilton the first thing that hit me was the noise, triggering an instant reaction of wanting to run away. I haven't come to the convention to meet up with friends, although a few days ago I contacted one of my before unknown myspace friends who happened to attend this Convention on her own as well, taking the train up from London, so we decided to join our demon hunting forces and met up...not an easy task in this crowd.

Her train was late and my calls went to voice mail, so I grabbed my Convention pass and the brochure and placed myself in one of the very comfy lobby chairs near the reception, reading the pamphlet and watching people meet and greet and hug and scream.

I spotted some very exciting outfits, though the warm summer temperatures made people wear tank tops and flip flops already.

Registration day wasn't really that exciting I thought and finally my phone rang. It was my new friend V who had arrived but I could not hear a word she was saying, as the reception area was still filled with noise equal to an airport or busy train station. I asked her what she was wearing but couldn't understand her. A few minutes later I got a text saying that she was near the door, which was more or less behind me, so I looked around and leaning forward to look past a bunch of teenage girls that had shifted to my right and there I spotted a girl that looked like it could be V. She was talking on the phone and as she saw me leaning forward I put a questioning look on and said V's name silently and probably overdoing it a bit. She smiled back and nodded and that's how we met.

Not really Supernatural but kind of funny as it reminded me of the scene in Provenance when Dean lent forward into the frame.

Next thing we knew we had time to kill and had a drink in the lobby, which may I say was fudging ridiculously overpriced with 4 quid for a glass full of ice and the remaining space filled up with Coke, and I kept saying to V. that I am not financing Paris Hilton's lifestyle with this. Even the cash machine charged me 1.75 for 10 Pounds! I was surprised that the soap in the toilets was free after all.

We had a great chat; V. is good fun to talk to. Behind us were a group of girls from Scotland I believe and they suddenly started shouting and screaming "Ash" - we both shuddered and frowned and felt quite embarrassed since the lobby was filled with lots of suits and business men. What must they be thinking of us?

I then said to V that these girls would be easy to work up and that we should have some fun tomorrow and start pointing and shouting "oh my god, there is xxx!" - and they would probably believe it and start screaming like hell.

We will see.


Well, that was basically it for Day One, not much else to report. On my way out I had to pay 5 quid parking which will amount to 12 quid tomorrow for a full day on Saturday and again on Sunday.

What have I done!




-posted by Nana (very tired)-

No comments:

Post a Comment