Saturday 10 May 2008

Asylum - Day Two (10.05.08)

It's day two and I am overwhelmed, yet I wonder by what.

First things first: I overslept this morning as I only had 4 hours sleep last night and as I went to fuel up my hungry car I noticed that I had no cooling fluid left (weird) so I had to buy a bottle, fill it all in and was on my way to Birmingham again.

While driving on the M6 I was having my breakfast, just a sandwich, no cereals, it's awkward to eat with a spoon whilst driving.

When I arrived at the Hilton there was no nice guy this time to help with the ticket so I had to lean half way out the window today…fudge, nearly fell out.

Of course I arrived late to the 1st Q&A with Sterling & Jim, which I was looking forward to the most, but managed to find a free seat pretty much at the front which was nice. My new friend V was nowhere to be found in the crowd, so I sat there listening to the first guests of the day telling their stories.

The Q&A was very interesting and funny. When someone asked Jim what ever happened to the dog (Rumsfeld) he smirked and said he ate it. Now that’s the spirit.

I had my doubt about Sterling, because I really don't like Gordon, but it turns out Sterling is a really funny guy in real life as opposed to the character, which makes him an excellent actor I guess.

In a way it was almost nice that none of the J's where here, it gave the other guys much more of a deserved chance to shine.

After the Q&A I tried to find my friend and found myself buying rather spontaneously a coffee lounge ticket with Jim for 15 quid (another 1,75 went to the Hilton for the unplanned use of their cash machine, dammit).


(coffee lounge with Jim Beaver)

Before the coffee it was Sam Ferris turn at the Q&A though and although she complained about airplane hair(whatever that means, I missed the beginning of the session) she was strangely what I expected: A cool woman who uses the word "hot" to describe guys. Many questions were asked if she and Dean would get together...oh yes the questions...there were so many of them...their Freudian value rather disputable though. I am still not sure what the small kids where doing there - is that the age range Supernatural should attract?

My friend had a photo shoot with Chad and complained about the outcome but I think it looks great. I reminded her that all these actors know "how" to look for the camera and that every common schmuck like us will look just weird next to them (my reason for not booking a shoot, I need not to be depressed about my looks even more).

The coffee lounge was fun (though I missed Chad's Q&A) yet there was no coffee (I am not impressed with the Hilton, not to mention the water stains on the ceilings everywhere in the Hotel and electric faults in the rooms) - I kept quiet during the intimate 20 people gig with Jim Beaver and just enjoyed taking it all in. A feisty German girl with a distinguishable accent sitting next to Jim lay into him with the questions; am I the only one who gets a little embarrassed by some fans?
Jim's PA was really kind and we ended up having a photoround and now I have my picture taken with a star anyways and I look as ridiculous as expected. I'm such a schmuck, dammit.

Next was a lunch break and V had a club sandwich for 13 quid which is outrageous considering that she had to wait nearly half an hour for it, I had my coffee this time.

After lunch it would have been AJ Buckleys turn but to this minute I am not sure if he even made it to this country yet, or ever will, so to bridge the gap they showed the episode "Born Under a Bad Sign" on the convention screen and I must say the Winchesters are certainly suited for the big screen and the surround sound was awesome! Exorcism can be so cool!

Next up was Travis and I have forgotten his last name now. Sorry Dude, I'll look you up in my pamphlet. He started of a little shy but soon became the highlight of the afternoon and a very entertaining stand-up comedian. Dude, your rendition of the Ghostfacers theme tune was AWESOME! What can I say? Travis isn't as geeky as his character Harry Spengler and he has an excellent timing for comedy and if his action figure does one day go into production, I'd buy it - after I have seen him do the special moves I am convinced.

Towards the end of the day it was the girls turn, Katie and Lauren and I must say I was quite surprised how high pitch their voices are compared to how they sound on the show.
Someone has asked Katie about her high heel boots which she bought in Atlanta....there was more, but I admit I forgot, as I was watching the clock. If I managed to leave the car park in just under 8 hours I'd only have to pay 8 pounds as oppose to 12.

Now, for tomorrow I have the chance to get my autographs but after seeing all these lost souls littering the halls, waiting in endless never shifting cues awaiting their turn while the rest had fun at the Q&A's, I am not so sure I want to get into the waiting line for hell just yet. I guess I'll make my mind up spontaneously tomorrow - I can't really say that someones signature tickles my fancy, at least not as much as the girl that actually started jumping with excitement screaming "squeee" after Jim had signed something for her after the coffee lounge.

All in all it was a great day and all of the guys from the show seem to be wonderful people and enjoy what they are doing - even this convention- although to them it's probably just another gig answering the same old questions over and over again.

I am certainly looking forward to tomorrow.



-posted by Nana (just another number in the crowd)-

No comments:

Post a Comment