Saturday 17 May 2008

THE LIFE OF RILEY/JASON MANNS GIG IN PORTCULLIS, FISHPONDS, BRISTOL/FRIDAY 16th MAY 2008

Smiley's and mmmms (very long) report of the Bristol gig:

Ok then.... To first set the scene.... prior to us actually reaching the gig... I was working until 6pm.... and between mmmmms and I successfully found homes for all five of our kids for the night.... my 'Mini Me' went AWOL 'til Monday... pure bonus all round there!

Anyhow, darted down to mmmmms house, picking chippy [that’s fish’n chips for our American readers-N.] up on way there... ate chippy in about two seconds flat... and showered, changed, ironed clothes... put on outfit... took off outfit... picked other outfit.... ironed other outfit... took off outfit... put first outfit back on... etc...etc...etc... you know the usual girlie drill!

We managed to get out of house at 7.20pm-ish... bearing in mind, both mmmmms & I live only about 5 miles from actual gig venue!!! We have lived here years... We even did dry run the other day.... had precise written directions... just in case we had a mental block on where we were.... and what did we then inevitably do? yep... we got lost.... ended up going back again down so many ring roads ... we practically had to drive back as far as her house again before turning around for take two!!!

Eventually we arrived at the pub.... ok we guessed that the gig would be upstairs... we figured this one out really quickly when the locals all stopped mid way through their conversations and supping their ale to have a good look at us as we entered...

And up we went... unfortunately gig had already started maybe five or tens minutes prior to this and we paid money at door and slipped in, mainly unnoticed we hoped! We sat near the back, over a bit to the side.... over by where the merchandise stuff was.... In fact during the night... mmmmms gave me a right ticking off for resting my feet on their merchandise suitcase.... that was on the floor beside me!!!

I have to also add at this stage that throughout the evening, the three guys (Jason, Riley and Hank) had to sort of jump over this said case as they took breaks to loo or up to the bar! I suggested to mmmmms at one stage that maybe I should just arrange my feet on the case like a sort of obstacle jump thingy....make their jumps a bit more interesting and varied for them. I kind of figured that they were finding them much too easy and maybe needed the challenge... she was not amused by that one in the slightest and promptly removed me and the chair away from the case!!!

The three guys sat side by side playing various songs from both their albums and a few random ones like Dobie Gray's 1973 song Drift Away.... which had us all singing along!!!

Having to really admit that it's only in the last two/three weeks that I have even heard of Jason Manns, found his myspace blog and played his songs a few times before then telling mmmmms about them... Riley's stuff, we admittingly knew absolutely zilch about! So we weren't quite sure what to expect! We were pleasantly surprised! They varied their act... joked around a bit... intermingled a bit with the small but intimate crowd there. At a guess, maybe 20-30 people were there. Most of whom, we also guessed had been to see them at least a couple of times before! Mmmmms joked that they were all probably at venue hours early arriving even way before the guys even set off for the gig at all! They were a good lot though as they sang along with all the songs!!! [I think some of the tour ticket holders have actually been allowed in for the sound check prior to this gig if I remember K’s words correctly-N.]

Minutes into us getting there though, Jason had a fit of coughing that seemed to go on for ages... Bless him.... but he showed amazing professionalism by trying his best to cough at certain times during Riley’s song.... not wanting to disturb the general flow of what was going on! I was quite impressed by that effort... he was nearly turning blue over in the corner at one stage!!! :) In fact, I believe slightly later on in the night, one of the crowd gave him some cough sweets that seemed to sort all out for him!!!

Riley made a reference to the whole xanax and alcohol on the plane story.... which got a big laugh! These were seriously funny guys... with a good sense of humor, who although, they were professional in their approach to what they did as regards their music etc... they also didn't take themselves too seriously... so whole night on a whole was quite lighthearted, which at the tail end of a long busy working week ... was just what was needed.

Anyway.... as they were busy playing up the front.... mmmmms and my attention turned briefly back to the whole suitcase thing.... still on the floor near my feet.... as a couple of fans decided that they were going to purchase some Riley T-Shirts at that stage... Smiley was now nearly at the bottom of her second double vodka and mmmmms asked me ... what's the word written on the T-shirt... I glanced over... and not actually clicking that 'Trouble' was one of Riley’s songs.... jokingly told her that the word 'Shovel' was stamped across each one... mmmmms spent next five minutes asking the same question over and over again..... Why Shovel??? We eventually got the whole 'Trouble' connection thing!

Ok, then now dangerously near to bottom of his glass... Riley made yet another jump over this case... thankfully closed at this stage... (and yes... I moved my feet... Riley had also had a few drinks at that stage...) and we get to bar more or less one after the other. Riley got his all sorted and had a break while Jason sang one of his songs....(the Rufus Wainwrights song... Halleluiah song....) beautifully slowly done, not rushed... as a fellow guitar player... I appreciated the effort put into that one...You could hear a pin drop in the room during the song. Nice professionalism from Riley at this stage too ... I've been to a few gigs over the years where even the band members are not giving soloists the correct respect... moving around doing things distracting things when a fellow band member is performing...and it's not nice and is never ever necessary, IMO, but no matter... all three of them respected each others talents etc... all night! :)

Now at bar, towards very end of song... I was busy having brief conversation with the barman about my Irish accent and how many years I've been over here etc... as I was getting next round of drinks in! With that... I turned to Riley and uttered.... hmmmmm.....'You are doing well... you're not as good as my vodka here though.... but you are doing well all the same! '' ... Yes... again very much a case of 'brain stop mouth from talking'.... or... 'BETTER KEPT IN HEAD' etc.... but anyway... as Riley walked back towards stage area, taking yet another jump over the suitcase... I sensed he truly knew where I was coming from!!! He didn't look too disappointed to be rated second to a decent drink though.... :)

Together the three of them varied their tempo.... mixing fast songs with slow ones... taking song requests from the crowd and honoring most of them, also told a few stories, shared a bit about the friends they had in their lives... etc... They also spoke about possible ideas for next L.O.R. video.... cracking ideas... but they did ask us not to share some of their stories etc... online youtube etc... so in respect of that, I will leave their stories there.... On a personal note for me....Jason did however, make a massive huge jump up in my estimations by saying that he was familiar with James Taylor's music! I have seen Mr. Taylor live in concert some years ago and am quite a fan... I really respect those who write a good song as well as sing them!!! Then Jason had to jump back down then every single rung on the ladder by then mentioning his liking of James Blunts music... yeah I know... Jason ... what are you on????

They then talked a little about some English rhyming slang words in common usage... a wee debate followed about why it was necessary at all for all these confusing rhyming slang words. Being from Ireland I have to say I kind of agree with them on this point.... we Irish tend to call a spade a spade.... we don't call it something that rhymes with it and hope that the rest of the world gets it's meaning.... but no matter... they then learned a few new ones from the crowd before them!!! Riley then spoke of his love for the band The Kooks.... most of us, to be fair in the room, me or mmmmms being no exceptions... if honest... probably only know the one song from The Kooks... The 'She Move In Her Own Way' one.... so I guessing maybe on the strength of his insistence that there is some merit to this band... The Kooks fanbase might grow a few in the very near future!!!

Time was coming up to about 10.15pm.... we sensed they would be wrapping up soon.... Riley made a quick announcement that they would all be available for CD and ticket signings afterwards... BTW... on entering as we paid they hung onto our tickets at the door so they could be signed later on in the evening!!! A last few songs followed... many, admittingly, neither mmmmms or I knew but... then the rest of the crowd did so we sort of followed them!!!

Around this time as I was about to head up towards bar for yet another round.... I decided a trip to loo was more in order and not thinking... I then said to mmmmms.... 'I'm off to the loo, do you want anything?' ... We both hit a fit of giggles that just wouldn't stop.... she of course kept saying ... yeah bring me back a loo roll.... a handful of handsoap..... maybe a toilet brush... etc.... I swear we were doubled over laughing at the back... We got a sharp look or two from one or two about us.... but nevertheless, we didn't seem to disturb the boys.... so to add... I eventually did get to loo.... didn't bother, on this occasion, bringing any souvenirs back.... much to mmmmms disappointment!!! Did, however then made yet another trip up towards the bar.... where I managed to bring back yet another double voddy from there... :)

Gig finished in or around 10.30pm.... they guys looked wrecked! They worked hard during the night... gave their best! They then spent the best part of the following hour signing various things... CD's, Tickets... etc.... they also mingled with everyone... mmmmms and I got the sense again... that a lot of this crowd were possibly known to them... maybe some of them even came to a few other UK gigs... I did mention to Hank that N. was asking for them and that she hope they were doing well after her F1 type drive from the airport with him & Riley in tow.... Hank was thankful for the ride.... although he did also admit he too was a bit worse for wear at that time and didn't recall very much of it..... Which admittingly is probably the best way to tackle N's driving excursions.... I hear she tends to 4x4 it ...on two wheels most of the time.... but no matter... she got them there safe and sound... THANK YOU N.!!!! :) [stop it, I’m blushing-N.]

At this time, we also met a blonde haired friend of the guys [this could have been K. the tour manager maybe? – N.]... many apologies, as I didn't get her name, but she also recalled the trip with N..... so a brief conversation followed about how and where we heard about Riley, Hank & Jason... I related back the story about being on the SPN forums... and chatting with others... found Jason's myspace site and then as gig was following... all managed to pretty much fall into place to present day... no rocket science involved... but the usual word of mouth stuff and recommendations! I was so obviously a bit worse for wear at this stage.... but night was a good one!!! Everyone was walking out the doors happy.... which was the whole point of the night!!!

I must mention at this stage... that camera wise... both mmmmms and I had a catalogue of mishaps with various cameras etc... over the 24 hrs prior to this gig.... Firstly, my digital just decided not to work... no matter what I did with the damn thing... it just wouldn't work... then mmmmms digital camera did a disappearing act around my house.... still can't find the thing...so mmmmms, while out in the afternoon...picked up this disposable one... now as mmmmms is very much into her pinks and purples... so this one was not a discreet little black colored one that may have half passed for a half decent one... nope... it was a flaming great big purple thing that made the loudest noise every time we wound the thing on..... so in a effort not to disturb any surrounding people or worse still they guys as they played.... gave up on the disposable camera idea.... and then went for our mobile phones.... At this point mmmmms then realized hers was left in full view on her seat out in the car outside.... and then she launched into prayer like mode that the car would not be broken into for remainder of night... as pure laziness then overtook both of us... and neither of us really wanted to leg it back down those stairs and back out past all those lovely local men... thru those doors... and over the sodden crossing again... nope... we left it where it was!!! At this point, we then started to rely on my phone to do the pics.... No matter how we tried to take the pics of them performing.... they still looked a bit like little gummy bears up there... even after I worked out how to zoom in a bit.... they still looked small... my zoom feature, BTW.... just doesn't zoom in quietly..... it sounded more like the Terminator whirring then anything else.... another fit of giggles from both of us followed... hell it is hard enough to take pics when you are sober.... but try doing so with a few drinks inside you... whilst trying your best to not bother anyone else around you with the constant whirring.... was seriously hard work.... we gave up pretty quickly!!! We did get a few pics of us with each of the guys at the end of the night... Smiley does apologize in advance for the eyes glazed over look.... You can thank Mr. Double Vodka's for that one.... mmmmms looked reasonably well!!! My hair was also having a SPN moment of it's own on the night too.... I decided I would straighten the usually curly locks for the evening.... and it just sort of started getting a bit possessed half way thru night... anyway.... it's settled down today.... :)

Anyway... to conclude.... Gig was great.... Lots of fun! Well done to the guys for a top effort!!! We did end up also purchasing a copy each of Riley and Jasons CD's... to which they gladly signed... mmmmms took Riley home... I took Jason home.... or rather the CD's:) Sorry, Riley... I know Smiley confused you a wee bit when I asked you to sign Jason's CD.... the 'Why not one of my CD's? question that followed although making perfect sense to you on the night.... maybe I didn't fully explain to you that we also shared out the love and also bought one of yours... but as mmmmms and I are sharing custody of named CD's.... thought that all three of your scribbles on Jasons CD would work just as well!! Both mmmmms and Smiley... hands on hearts promise that next time you all come over for your next lot of gigs... we'll be singing along to all your songs!!! PROMISE!!!! :)

So thank you Jason, Hank and Riley for a great gig night out.... Come back to see us again very soon!!!

Love and Peace,

Smiley & mmmmms



-posted by Smiley-

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this great report, you had me giggling all the way through. Poor Riley, made him sign Jason's CD - hahaha, priceless! N.

    ReplyDelete